Excel format is the best file format for keeping the accounts and other tabular classifications in good condition. But what about the real challenges that keep haunting the excel file(s)? They actively participate in making the file corrupt and no more accessible at any end. Finally, arrives the time of befooling the user followed by burning a big hole in the pocket by getting some expensive solution to wear out the issue. Is this a corrupt Excel file really need? Prior making any advances to fix the affected Excel files by installing a third-party Excel Repair tool, it is always better to take assistance from manual methods.
It works quite well and sometimes it is only needed than an especial treatment.
Nursing affected Excel files by employing Manual Methods
Repairing the damaged Excel files by manual methods and that too without losing the file content and maintaining data integrity is quite appreciable among users. It is the best method to be applied without losing a buck. However, being a professional smarten keeping the backup of all Excel files is the best way to ward-off the binary evil. The different methods available to fix the depreciated data sheets are:
- Use of Inbuilt Repair Tool: Microsoft provides inbuilt repair tool in MS Excel to fix the nitty-gritty issue. It simply manages the corrupt files by repairing them in conventional but in an effective fashion. To use this inbuilt utility just follow these steps:
- Open MS Excel.
- Click Windows Tab located in the extreme top left of the screen, followed by ‘Open’ option.
- Select the Excel file to be repaired by Open and Repair from Open drop-down menu.
- Once done, a default message with two options will appear. The first option is for repair of affected files, while the second option is about data extraction, if repair is failed.
- Resetting calculation method to Manual: To try this manual method, make sure you do as same:
- Open Excel Sheet. Click Windows Icon followed by Open.
- From Tools -> Options – > Calculations.
- In Calculation – > click Manual.
- Click OK and try to reopen the concerned Excel file.
- Making use of different platform: If MS Excel does not work; simply try to open the affected files in different platforms like Word Pad, Word or Open Office. WordPad converts the content into text; hence, this method can recover the VBA procedures.
- Emptying up the Temp Directory: Often the Temp directory gets flooded and at the same time the accessibility of some applications is denied and it appears as corruption. Therefore, it is professionally recommended to delete the temp file up to some extent so that concerned application and files could be easily accessed.
- Simple Data Extraction from Corrupt Spreadsheet: To mine out the data from corrupt spreadsheet, it is advised to follow these steps:
- Enter the following macro code in module sheet.
- Insert a new worksheet in a workbook and rename the same as ChartData.
- Select the chart from where the underlying data values can be preferentially extracted.
- Run the GetChartValues macro.
The above discussed manual methods are proved successful up to some extent. There are cases when these methods proved futile and it was found wise to take assistance from an external agency. The assistance was found to be quite constructive and worthy. Repairing the affected Excel files is no more the professional’s job.