Move Outlook PST File from One Computer to Another
The blog that you are going to read throws light on the Outlook database file .pst, its importance, security, need for its backup and method to move or transfer it to any different location. An engaging discussion over the topic is made in this article to make users aware of the situations for transfer of PST file and the way to perform it.
Microsoft Outlook application is the widely used email client all over the world. The users work on this definitely know about the .pst file, the database file of Outlook that contains complete information about the Outlook data be it emails, contacts, appointments, tasks, calendars, notes, etc. This database file is stored at the system storage location depending on its version. As this database file contains important information, it needs to be in a secure state always to avoid any sort of data loss.
One strategy for Outlook PST data security that should always be adopted to avoid the data loss is having a backup of this PST file. That ascertains no worries in case of difficult circumstances. Let us have a look at the condition or situations that forces or encourages moving PST file from one computer location to another.
- In case when Microsoft Outlook application has to be re-installed
- Saving storage on a specific system location by moving heavy PST file from it
- When new email account has been setup and old information is required
- Cope up the risk of data loss via situations like accidental formatting, viruses attack, malfunction in hardware, corruption in software, etc.
As the users come across the scenarios asking for moving PST file from one system location to another, now the time is to watch out for the solution that can be performed now.
Move Outlook PST file from one computer to another
Users can move PST files using manual technique. This manual technique includes 3 stages to perform PST file transfer from one computer location to another. These 3 stages are:
- Identifying the PST file Location
- Taking PST file backup
- Importing old PST file in new location
Identifying the PST file location:
The first stage includes knowing the PST file location for the Outlook application in the old computer. Follow the given instructions or steps to reach the location of your Outlook PST file.
- 1. Press Windows+R and type Control Panel and click OK.
- 2. Now click on the Mail icon.
- 3. Mail setup windows get opened. Click Show Profiles. Go to Properties and click Data Files.
- 4. Select the PST file you want to backup, double click on it. Copy the location of the PST file.
You can select and copy more than one PST files separately.
The user now knows the PST location and copied its path. Let us move ahead in the process of taking backup of the PST file.
Taking PST file backup:
Continuing the process, go to Windows explorer or My computer and paste this copied location. The folder containing the PST file gets opened. Copy the required PST file(s) and then paste to the storage devices like hard drive, pen drive, external drive, other removable storage drive, network location, etc. and make a connection to the new computer system.
Importing old PST file in new location:
This is the final stage of the moving PST file process. Here, the steps are to be performed at the system location where you want to move the chosen PST file. To import the backed up PST file in this location; execute the following steps one-by-one:
- Open the MS Outlook application. Go to the File tab. Under Open & Export option, select Import/Export.
- Import and Export wizard is displayed. Select the option Import from another program or file and then click on Next.
- Select the option Outlook Data File (.pst) and then click on Next.
- In the next opened wizard, go to the Browse option, click it and go to the location where the backed up PST file is located. Select the PST file and click on OK. User can choose among the given options for duplicate items as per need and then click on Finish.
- The last step would ask you to select the folders from Outlook data file for import. Users can include the sub-folders as well and add filters. After making the selections, click on Finish to start the import process.
Hence, you have gone through the complete process of moving PST files from one system location to another. This manual process is feasible yet requires user’s engaging time and dedication. One more disadvantage of executing this method is while pasting one PST file to another system location, there are high chances of data corruption or some missing of data in between the whole process. It means the data originality is at stake.
So, a way to deal with corruption of PST files in an easy and more secured manner is possessing Outlook PST Repair software. It is a professional tool that is designed to deal with all Outlook errors and repair the corrupt PST files keeping the data intact and move the repaired PST file to new locations including Outlook, Exchange, cloud, etc. Try the software at home with Demo version and later decide yourself its worth to make a purchase or not.