Strategy to Migrate the OST files from Original Destination
Offline Storage Table or OST file format is best known to be used in MS Exchange Server and MS Outlook. In both the systems, the file format keeps the functionality same and that too without affecting the relevant capacity. The OST files keep the changes that are made during absence of net connectivity. The changes that are made at any level are consistent and later on get synchronized when net connectivity is resumed.
The OST files have some issues especially when it is not possible to carry the system. In such case it is mandatory to check for the availability of the solution to move it. Thus, to do it two things must be known i.e. Location of OST files and Way of migration of OST files to other destination.
Although Location of OST files is known, but in case user is new to such sort of migration, then these steps can be followed promptly:
- Click Outlook and from File tab click Account Settings -> Account Settings -> Data Files.
- From Data Files tab, the location of OST files can be viewed.
- From here two options are present: Simply accept the location of OST files as they are or Change the location to where the OST file is to be migrated.
Once location of OST files is known, user can initiate for migration of such files to the desired location. To migrate the OST files, simply follow these steps:
- Take access on Account Settings followed by Data Files tab.
- Select the Exchange Account and choose Settings.
- On Advanced tab, uncheck the Use Cached Exchange Mode checkbox and click OK.
- Immediately click OK, and then choose Settings.
- On the Advanced tab, select Outlook Data Settings -> Disable Offline Use -> Yes.
- Select Outlook Data File Settings followed by selection of Browse -> select the folder where user wants to save the OST files, then click Open.
- Click OK.
- From Advanced tab, select the Use Cached Exchange Mode checkbox -> Ok -> Restart Outlook.
- Exit the Account Settings and Mail Setup dialog box.
- In the Mail dialog box click OK.
Thus, the OST files can be securely migrated to different destinations without any external assistance. However, if you are too time conscious, then it is recommended to try evaluation version of third party software. Once satisfied with its performance, the licensed version can be purchased.