Fix cannot open particular items when working offline in Outlook
While working offline on MS Outlook, it has been found out that at times you cannot open particular items in offline folder (OST file). OST file being core part of your Outlook saves all the work which you have done while not connected to Exchange Server. This OST file has auto synchronization property which automatically updates all your saved work once proper connection is established between Exchange Server and MS Outlook.
- Sudden system shutdown
- Malware infected files
- Network inconsistency
- Damaged folders
Once you encounter any such error, the first thing is to run Inbox Repair Tool which is Microsoft’s inbuilt utility to repair such corrupted OST files. However, if the corruption still persists, then it is advised to try other effective methods.
In such situation, one is advised to delete the corrupted OST file and create a fresh one. Here we are ascertaining some methods in that direction.
- Locate the corrupted or damaged OST file.
- Download the tool which will scan the corrupted OST file and save the entire content into a new file with PST format.
- Keep a copy of both OST and PST file which could be used in any critical situation.
- Now delete or rename the corrupted OST file.
- Start your Outlook application and send/receive message through Exchange Server. This will automatically create a new OST file.
- In case the error still persists, there could be the problem in your Outlook profile so you need to create a new profile.
- For creating new Outlook profile, go to the Control Panel and under it select 'Mail' option.
- A mail setup dialog box will appear from where click on Show Profiles.
- Click on the profile which is corrupted and then remove it by clicking on ‘Remove’.
- Now add a new Outlook profile by clicking on 'Add' option.
- A page will appear which will ask for details. Fill in all the credentials and click on Finish.
- Launch your Outlook application and re-synchronize it with Exchange Server.
- Once the problem disappears, import the data from the PST file created by the tool into the fresh OST file.
Running OST Repair tool requires the MS Outlook version to be of 2007 and older. Once it is ensured, the user can run the OST repair tool.
- Click Scanost.exe utility
- Set up the profile which contains the corrupt OST files
- The dialog box will prompt asking user to select either 'Connect' or 'Work Offline'
- Click 'Connect' to establish connection with the Exchange Server
- If the user wishes to repair the error, click 'Repair error' checkbox. However, checking the box is recommended to keep making t he required corrections
- Click 'Begin' to initiate scan