Fixed The message interface has returned an unknown Outlook error
While accessing the email account in MS Outlook sometimes user faces error message that reads, "The messaging interface has returned an unknown error". This error manifests due to internal error or an external agency which is attached to the PST file or to the Outlook application which is consuming the file properties making it inaccessible for the user. The same error message could also pop-up when user attempts to send the mails, creates new items in the calendar, syncing Outlook mails to the other device.
When the user encounters such issues frequently, it is suggested to restart the MS Outlook application and see if the issue still persists. In situation when the issue still persists, it is advised to take assistance from the third-party tool which can promisingly resolve the issue without affecting the file properties.
The messaging interface has returned an unknown error – prior deploying any solution the causes of the issue must be known so that the solution can be effectively employed.
- Outlook PST file has been set with the default deliver location and due to non-deliverance, the error manifests
- Message is being forwarded using an OST file
- The forwarded message is in Rich Text Format and contains attachment
- No activity in account for longer time
- The message has been modified after saving as 'Draft'
- Outlook PST file in question is corrupt
- Exit Outlook. Go to Start->Control Panel->Mail
- In new dialog box of Mail, click 'Show Profiles'
- In next screen, click 'Add' button and enter the 'Profile Name'
- Restart Outlook and initiate the sync
- Exit Outlook. Click 'Start'-> enter 'outlook.exe' in the search field
- Right click on Outlook and select 'PROPERTIES'
- A pop-up dialog will appear. Click 'Compatibility' and check if the Outlook runs in the compatibility mode. If the box remains unchecked, then such error likely to remain
- Inbox Repair Tool is an inbuilt utility that comes with the all versions of Outlook to fix the nominal bugs. If the concerned PST file has small bugs, then user is expected to follow:
- Close MS Outlook
- Go to Start-> Settings-> Control Panel
- Double click on Mail-> Services tab -> Personal Folders-> Properties. Click Ok
- Again go to Start -> Programs-> Accessories-> System tools and click Inbox Repair Tool
- In the box, enter the name of the PST file to be scanned. The concerned PST file can also be 'Browse'
- Click 'Start' to initiate the repair process
- Once done, restart the Outlook and access the file
- Exit Outlook. Click Start-> Settings-> Control Panel
- Click Mail-> Show Profile-> click Add
- Click on the services required followed by clicking 'Next'
- On Inbox Setup Wizard enter he require credentials
- When prompted to enter the file path, type New and click Next
- Go to the General tab. Select the newly created Outlook profile and close the window
- Restart Outlook application
The above discussed methods can bring accessibility to your affected PST files to maximum extent but there are some chances that even after running numerous methods, sometimes the PST files remain inaccessible. In such scenario, it is recommended to take help from the third-party Repair PST tool which can effectively resolve the queries without affecting the file functionalities.