How to Fix Excel Error 'This file is not in a recognizable format'?
Excel files are saved in different formats and sometimes due to non-avilailbility of the recognized format, the excel file(s) remains inaccessile and pops-up an error, “This file is not in a recognizable format”. There could be other reasons as well but the chances of their occurance are fewer.
What brings in “Unrecognized Format” error?
- Sudden shutdown of Excel application
- Technical issues in running macros
- Crashing of MSOffice
- Virus or malware issues in excel files
These reasons are the broad classification under which one can easliy understand the reasons of the inaccessibilityof the excel files. However, the intresting factor that brings the unrecognized format error is the format in which the excel file was saved while working. For instance, if the user is working in MS Office 95 and is determined to access the file in MS Office 2016, then there are possibiities that the concerned excel file will not get open or some of its elements may remian non-functional.
Fixing 'Unrecognized format' error with distinct methods
Opening file which is in Works 3.0 or 4.0 format in Excel 2000 or 2002
As Microsoft Works is a discontinued office suit, when the user tries to open a file which was developed by using Microsoft 3.0 or 4.0 in Excel 2000 or 2002 then because of compatibility issues one is not prohibited from doing so.
Also if you open it as a text file, then also you will not be able to read it. In order to open such file through Excel 2000 or 2002 version, one can follows these steps:
- Go to the File menu and choose the option of Save As.
- Few file formats will be available under Save File As Type, select the one which suits best.
Format Extension Supported Windows 2.0/DOS SS WKS Excel 4.0/5.0 SS XLS Lotus 1-2-3 WKS
- After selecting the option, click on OK.
- Close the file and then try to open it in Excel.
Opening file created using Office 2007 or 2010 version through Office 2003 (Pro) version
When user has created the file using newer versions of Office like 2007 or 2010 versions (XLSX files) and tries to open it through Office 2003 (Pro) version, then such kind of error is generated. Sometimes the error is also not resolved using MS Office Compatibility Pack. Hence, following these steps will resolve error in such situation:
- Select the XLSX file which you want to open and right-click on it.
- Select Open With option and then click on Choose default program.
- Open With dialogue box will appear which will list the programs. Go to the Browse option of it.
- Under Browse window, navigate to 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office 12' and then select the 'Moc.exe' (Microsoft Open XML Converter) file and then click on OK.
- Now you can open your xlsx file through Office 2003.
Corruption prevailing in the file which you are opening
In case you are opening a damaged or corrupted Excel file (XLS and XLSX), then the error is generated which does not allow you to open the file.
Such corrupted files could be repaired using Excel built-in repair function. If the Built-in repair function fails to do so, one can opt for various professional tools available like third party Excel Repair tool which are capable to repair severely corrupted Excel files. Free trial version of it is also available which can be downloaded for free.