How to fix 'The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable' error?
We most often comes across “The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable' error while trying to connect the external drive to the system. It is not the complicated issue, but looks terrifying if user is unknown to its resolutions. It is merely a technical jerk due to which such error comes. It is the RAW file system that gets affected and must be resolved to resume the operation.
Reasons of Error Manifestation
To resolve the issue the reason and the nature of error must be clear. Professionals give four reasons to such error manifestation:
- Virus Intrusion: Virus or other alien program blocks the file accessibility to great extent and may give an appearance as if the concerned files are corrupt leading to severe confusion. With such effect user can easily see a message flashing "The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable" error.
- External drives not drawn properly: It is always suggested to remove the external drives by properly ejecting it by clicking on the external drive icon. Once removed directly from the USB slot, the entire FAT system of the drive may get corrupt and may bring an error message to your notice "The file or directory is corrupted or unreadable" error.
- Physical Component Issues: Physical component issue includes corruption of that part of the concerned disk which was safe till now. The external/internal drives such as hard disk, USB, memory card and memory stick are accessible till the bad sectors are not found in their sectors. When the user tries to access the corrupt sectors of the drive, it flashes the message “The file or directory is corrupted or unreadable" error message.”
- FAT file corruption: FAT and MFT are the part of NTFS system which has detailed information of the every file stored in the system. To locate any file it is the power-centre of the required information. When it gets corrupt, the user cannot retrieve any information about the concerned file. Also, the file may not be accessible anymore.
Resolutions for Disk-related Issues
The disk related issues can be simply sorted out in two unique ways, namely:
The installation of hotfix package can be done as follows:
Check Disk Method:
This method is an inbuilt utility in Windows system that allows checking and fixing the errors present in the disk without affecting the entire volume. To perform it follow these steps:
- Click “Start” button followed by opening Command Prompt Window.
- In the command prompt box continue to type chkdsk/f h: and press Enter. H is the drive letter that has the real defect and is required to be fixed.
To fix the drive using this method it may take some time as it depends entirely on disk volume and file properties.
- Once the disk analysis is initiated user is requested not to intervene as it will get automatically complete.
Assistance from Third-Party Tool:
To ease off the process of fixing the disk related issues, third-party solutions are developed and they are often recommended by the professionals as they save time and other resources. Prior making any purchase of disk repair utilities, it is requested to try the evaluation version of Windows data recovery tool to evaluate its properties.
Now, to fix the disk related issues there are two solutions: Manual and Automatic. Feel free to choose any that suits your calibre.