How to Fix Exchange Public EDB (pub1.edb) File Errors?
MS Outlook is one of the most popular email clients among professionals and when it is used with the Microsoft Exchange Server platform, the experience of mailing, instant messaging, notes, calendar etc. all gets enriched. Thus the collaborative use of Exchange Server and Outlook provides best features to users with enhanced security as Server uses Extensible Storage Facility (ESE) to keep the log files of each email item.
Exchange Public EDB files
Exchange Server as we all know supports EDB file format to store its data and this EDB file further contains priv1.edb file and pub1.edb file. Now with every EDB file created, STM file generates automatically. So when we talk about public EDB files, they are pub1.edb and pub1.stm files. These public files store all the emails which are associated with public folder. As EDB files are very crucial for your Exchange Server and are also susceptible towards any kind of corruption, dirty shutdown of your Server creates problems in EDB files. This dirty shutdown of Exchange Server could be because of any reason like:
- Power failure without any power backup.
- Bade Sector Areas problem in Hard disk.
- Improper shutdown of Exchange Server while it was sending or receiving emails.
Apart from dirty shutdown, malware or virus attack could also cause corruptions in your crucial pub1.edb and pub1.stm files. Once any kind of corruption or damage happens to your EDB files you will be bombarded with various Jet Engine errors. Some of them can be like "JET_errRecordNotFound", "JET_errDatabaseCorruptedNoRepair", "JET_errRecordDeleted" etc.
Resolve errors in public EDB files
In order to resolve this corruption, Microsoft has provided utility tools like ESEUTIL and ISINTEG tools. ESEUTIL allows you to use various switches depending on the need of hour. To remove the corruption use ESEUTIL/P switch, which deletes the corrupted files thus helps in clearing the file-level damage. Here it is advised to first take the backup of the files before performing these actions. After deleting use ESEUTIL/D switch to perform the offline defragmentation of file to remove the spaces left behind. Finally run ISINTEG tool to correct the logical sequencing of the EDB files.
Note: You can restore the whole Exchange data back easily if you have a recent backup of its pub.edb database.
Manual Method to Fix Exchange Public EDB Pub1.edb Error
Exchange administrators or users with such privileges should follow these instructions to fix Exchange public EDB Pub1.edb error manually. Here we are trying to rebuild the Exchange public EDB pub1.edb file.
- Stop all the services of Exchange information store followed by navigation to Bin folder using command line.
- Enter the command “eseutil /mh..\mdbdata\priv1.edb” at the command line path: C:\exchsrvr\bin> and press the Enter key.
- Look for the state of the Exchange database and ensure that it is clean.
- If any difference in the State of Exchange Server is observed, export the folder at the location of log files and then initiate the soft recovery process.
- Enter the command line “C:\Program Files\exchsrvr\BIN\eseutil” /r E00 at C:\Program Files\exchsrvr\MDBDATA> command line path. If the state of the Exchange Server is still inconsistent, then initiate the hard recovery.
- In command box enter the command path “C: \Program Files\exchsrvr\MDBDATA>, type the following command: “C:\Program Files\exchsrvr\BIN\eseutil” /p pub1.edb.
- Go to Mbdata folder, and delete the log files along with .chk and Temp.edb files.
- Mount and Dismount the database of the Exchange Server and disable the services of Exchange Server.
- Now, defragment the public EDB mailboxes by entering C:\Program Files\exchsrvr\BIN>eseutil /d “C:\Program Files\exchsrvr\MDBDATA\pub1.edb
- Perform isinteg.exe by executing the following command “C:\Program Files\exchsrvr\BIN>isinteg -s (servername) -fix -test alltests”.
- Exit command prompt and restart the Exchange Server services to restore the corrupt Pub1.edb files.
Use third-party tool to repair corrupted EDB files
However with this above-explained manual method it is not guaranteed that the corruption will be removed. Also the method may seem a bit complicated for the ones who are not having good technical knowledge of the software. So experts always recommend to use third-party tools that not only repairs EDB files also allows you to convert them into other file formats. You just need to sit back and relax while the tool takes the charge. One such tool which produces the most reliable and trustworthy results in the least amount of time when compared with others is the Exchange Recovery tool. It easily repairs all levels of corruptions in the Exchange databases whether priv.edb or pub.edb without leaving any complaints or limitations. Take care of your Exchange data first by having regular backups and maintenance and leave rest to this advanced tool for tough times.