How to Fix BOOTMGR is missing error in Windows?
Is your system reflecting 'NTLDR is missing' message? It's the time to initiate the boot management using specialized settings as you never know when your system may suddenly turn off without giving an ample time to save the records.
NTLDR is NT Loader that works as the boot loader for the systems with Windows NT OS. NTLDR comprises of three files, namely; ntldr(main boot leader), boot.ini (boot configuration, and NTDETECT.COM(Boots NT-based OS). On NTLDR error, we have to provide the specific resolution as the error has specific origin.
The different sorts of NTLDR errors are as follows:
- BOOTMGR is missing. Press Ctrl Alt Del to restart.
- BOOTMGR is missing. Press any key to restart.
- Couldn't find BOOTMGR.
In case you are using Windows XP the error faced could be "NTLDR is missing."
What brings 'BOOTMGR is missing' Error?
BOOTMGR is Windows Boot Manager which helps in loading your operating system files from hard drive when you turn on your system. In Windows XP, NTLDR does the same job as the Boot manager. Alike, corruption of boot manager freezes the functionality of the system's functionality, similarly, the corruption of NTLDR abstains the OS from loading into the system. There are numerous forms with which the user can across the concerned error.
Some of them are describe below:
- While upgrading operating system or hard drives, issues occurring could result in corrupting files.
- In case you have outdated BIOS or some corrupt or misconfigured files, then there is the probability of such error.
- Corrupt or Bad sectors in your hard disk can also be held responsible for such error.
- Physical damage like damaged and faulty SATA cables, hard drive etc is also one of the reason.
- In case you are performing the boot process from a non-bootable device then also you might face the same issue.
Solution fo Windows BOOTMGR is Missing Error
In order to fix this error, you can follow any of the method which is described here:
• Automatic Repair option: If you have original bootable CD or USB for operating system, then you can perform the automatic repair by following these steps:
- Insert the bootable device in your system and turn on your computer.
- Force you system to boot from external bootable device by pressing any key.
- If you are using Windows 8 then Welcome screen will appear. At the left bottom corner of it you will find the option of 'Repair your computer'. Click on this option.
For lower versions of Windows, a screen will appear containing various options. Select 'Startup Repair' from these options.
- For Windows 8, go ahead with the options and click on 'Troubleshoot'.
- Click on 'Advanced Options' under Troubleshoot.
- Go for the option of 'Automatic Repair' under Advanced option page.
With these steps you would be able to select automatic repair option through which system automatically scans and repairs issues faced by boot manager.
• In case automatic repair option does not work properly, then you can perform a clean installation of your Windows from scratch after removing the previous Windows. As fresh new operating system will be installed on your computer, there will be left no kind of BOOTMGR is Missing Error in Windows.
Fixing 'NTLDR issue' using Recovery Console
- Use Windows Setup disk/CD-ROM to restart the system to initiate the recovery. Press C to repair Windows installation using Recovery Console.
- Enter the Windows Installation number, press Enter -> Enter Administrative Password->Type Map and press Enter.
- Type; copydrive:\i386\ntldr c:\ and press Enter. Repeat the same.
- If the system asks to overwrite the file, type 'Y' and press 'Enter'.
- Type: type c:\Boot.ini and press Enter.
- Type: exit and press Enter.
You can also opt for a new hard disk as there may be the problem in hardware only. So replace your old hard disk with a new one and then install Windows on it.
Although these methods prove fruitful in certain situations, but at times they can also result in data loss which further aggravate the issue. Hence, in order to fix BOOTMGR is Missing Error in Windows, users are recommended to employ a professional tool which has been designed for such tasks only.
Windows data recovery software is the most outstanding third-party software which helps in easy, safe and risk-free recovery of data from corrupt Windows, damaged and bad-sectored hard disk, malware attacked system. It is designed by technical experts with advance algorithms which produce the most reliable results that are already tested and verified.