Office 365 has been quite popular among the users of the world due to its features and cost-effectiveness. As compared to IBM Notes, Office 365 has acquired a good base
which has a lot to do with the fact that since HCL has taken over IBM Notes; many services such as Smart Cloud have been taken down. Therefore, sooner or later it will get necessary for the users to migrate to other applications. Unlike IBM Notes, Office 365 is maintenance-free, high on the security of its user’s data, and is loaded with features that make it a bigger application.
Benefits of using Office 365 over IBM Notes
There is a list of pointers that makes Office 365 a better application in almost every way. Here we have narrowed down a few of those just to clear any doubt in our user’s minds.
- Accessibility: Office 365 is accessible from anywhere and on any device that supports the internet since it is a cloud platform whereas Notes cannot be accessed until you are using the system in which it is installed.
- Collaborative nature: Office 365 offers collaboration features within a team that makes their work easier. There is no such feature in IBM Notes.
- User Interface: It is very well known that Office 365 is very user-friendly and IBM Notes require technical knowledge to start.
- System Storage Saver: Office 365 is a cloud-based application which means nothing is stored on your system whereas IBM Notes take up installation space and other space needed for data storage.
- Feature Load: IBM Notes doesn’t have many extra features integrated into the application as compared to video calling, audio calling, chat messages, file storage, collaboration, etc. in Office 365.
- Management of Content: Due to Share Point online; Office 365 can manage content and collaboration of data which is not possible in IBM Notes.
How to migrate IBM Notes emails to Office 365?
The migration of emails from IBM Notes to Office 365 should not be a major issue since it has many methods that can be used. In this blog, we will discuss the possible ways of transferring email data in different ways.
Method 1: Using Microsoft Online Notes Inspector (MONTI)
MONTI is a Microsoft application that helps in evaluating the data that is required to be migrated from the Notes environment to Office 365. This tool determines the data size and number using different filters. Downloading MONTI is an 86 pages guide that is available on the internet and will be available on the website from where you download this tool. You can also use the link mentioned below to download: https://www.microsoft.com/en-in/download/details.aspx?id=29567.
- Once the tool is downloaded, open the MONTI.exe by double-clicking on it. Now click on the Browse button to choose a desired location on the system.
- Click on Unzip to extract the documents and data from MONTI to the selected location.
- Copy Office 365 Deployment Tools\MONTI\Docs folder and go to this location.
- Now you can start the migration process using the MONTI 3.2 configuration guide.
This tool needs a lot of reading of the guide to be able to process anything you want to. However, it is also one of the best methods for transferring emails from IBM Notes to Office 365.
Method 2: Using IMAP
- Create a backup of your base file
The first step is equally important since if there is a mistake or anything that could not be solved you would still have another chance.
- Create new mailboxes for NSF user
Creating a new mailbox at Office 365 location with the same name as the IBM user is technically the first step toward this method.
- Enable IMAP TCP/IP port for the users
This step includes multiple steps of its own to complete. Here are the steps:
- In the Notes application, launch Domino Administrator.
- Navigate the Configuration tab and click on it.
- To execute the IMAP services, open the Server document.
- Click Ports> Internet Ports and then on Mail tab.
- In this step change the TCP/IP port value status to Enabled.
- Finally, click on the Save button.
- Synchronization with IMAP connector
IMAP connector can now be used to synchronize the mailboxes between the two applications- IBM Notes and Office 365.
Method 3: Using third-party NSF to PST converter
The above methods are restricted and slow enough for the users to look for a better alternative. With a third-party tool such as NSF to PST converter, you can transfer emails easily and with a lesser number of steps. This will save you time and energy and there will be fewer chances of having any kind of trouble in the process. There are other benefits to using third-party tools that cover all the drawbacks of manual methods such as limited transfer size, more number of mailboxes that can be transferred, etc.
IBM Notes is an outdated application in terms of features and benefits as compared to Office 365 which is more efficient and loaded with features. Therefore, the migration of emails would happen sooner or later. There are some manual methods mentioned above for this issue but we also recommend using a third-party best NSF to PST tool for easy and convenient migration.