NSF files are the database that is created through the Notes application and they consist of the mailbox involving emails, documents, forms, appointments, etc. As HCL has taken over the Notes Continue reading Top 3 Best NSF to PST Converter Tools Most Demandable in 2022
MS Outlook surpasses all professional email clients with a substantial margin due to its greater features and simplest user interface. It can accommodate multiple email clients from different email Continue reading Simple Way to Migrate from Lotus Notes to MS Outlook
Each business organization requires an effective medium for conducting the email communication. Also, the Email platform should be dependable to secure the online data and make it accessible whenever required. Two tech giants Microsoft and IBM both offer email clients – Outlook and IBM Notes (earlier Lotus Notes).
Due to the better security features and easier user-interface, majority of the businesses prefer to use Outlook over IBM Notes. Many Notes users also want to move to Outlook, but their existing accounts need to be adaptive of Outlook and that’s why you need to change the NSF files from Notes to Outlook PST format. You cannot directly use the NSF file in Outlook.
Benefits of Microsoft Outlook
- The user-interface of the Outlook is more interactive than the IBM Notes and the features of Outlook are placed in a better way.
- Outlook can contain and manage multiple accounts separately.
- Outlook application can deliver offline accessibility unlike Notes
- Outlook supports more types of accounts like Exchange, Microsoft 365, IMAP, POP, etc.
- The cost-effectiveness of the Outlook (low maintenance cost) is the primary reason behind the users adopting it more than the IBM Notes.
- The security of the Outlook boasts a higher level from Microsoft. Because Outlook is the part of Microsoft Office 365 subscription, so there is constant technical support for the customers.
- Microsoft allows the usage of the latest updated version of Outlook each time.
- Two database file formats OST and PST for saving Outlook accounts data
- Easy to work with application suitable for all kinds of users (technical or non-technical)
- Outlook application comes along multiple applications in Microsoft Office Suite
- Better data management and security than other email client applications
- It is easier to transfer data in Outlook between the different accounts.
All the benefits of MS Outlook attract users to adopt it in a big way. For that users need to export the Notes NSF file data to Outlook PST file as the Outlook application supports only PST file format as the database. But there is no dedicated method to convert the data files free. But there is a workaround where you can export the data from IBM Notes to a CSV file, then import the CSV files into Outlook. Although, it is not a secure method you can complete a simple conversion here.
Export Notes NSF Files
Follow the below steps-
- Open IBM Notes application and choose the mailbox in view mode showing all the data.
- Click File in the toolbar and choose Export.
- In the Export window, provide a new name to the file that you want to create. Then, in the Save as Type drop down, choose comma separated value as the type. Click, Export button.
- New step is Export window where you can choose How to Export (All documents, Selected documents), Export Character Set (default character set, internal UTF-8, Unicode), and detail to Incorporate (include view titles).
- Click OK and a new CSV file will be created at your mentioned location.
The first section of the process is complete successfully. In the next step, you need to import the same CSV file to MS Outlook.
Import CSV file to Outlook
The second stage of the conversion process requires you to import the earlier created CSV file to the Outlook. Here is its process;
- Start Outlook and click File option.
- Click Import/Export wizard.
- After opening the Import/Export wizard, choose the Import option.
- Choose Comma Separated Values.
- Browse the location of the CSV file from its location and while saving the file, click the option to replace the duplicate items while importing.
- Choose the PST folder location where you need to import the NSF file, then go ahead.
- After finishing the import process, click Finish.
- Check the newly created folder in the mailbox part in Outlook and verify the presence of data items.
Drawbacks of Free Method
The above-mentioned free process to convert the data from NSF files to Outlook is simple, but it has many drawbacks that make this process an error-prone method;
- There is no option to filter the data, so you will have to convert whole data including such files that you did not want to migrate.
- To convert multiple accounts, you need to follow the same process multiple times for each account.
- This method is not suitable to convert large data consisting of multiple files and folders.
- If the data is corrupt in the NSF file, then it may further corrupt the whole Outlook environment.
- It does not move complete NSF file email items like calendar entries.
- Throughout the process, there are good possibilities of data loss.
- The process can result in incomplete conversion of data
- Chances of process failure owing to human errors
- Can badly affects the original structure and properties of NSF data
- The method is long, complex and not suitable for novice users
Note: There is another way to move NSF files to Outlook PST using Microsoft Transporter Suite for Internet Mailboxes which is an obsolete method (for older versions only). It requires users to create a CSV file with mapped Source and Target Identity and the transport the source mailboxes to target using this inbuilt application. However, the process is not meant for all Outlook versions (for only Outlook 2003 and older versions), time-consuming with included data loss risks. It cannot export encrypted NSF files; more than 1500 emails and NSF file more than 1 GB size. Thus, include file type and file size limitations.
Due to the drawbacks of free methods, these are not recommended for getting sure shot results and when you are expecting reliability in process.
The conversion from NSF files to Outlook PST is beneficial for a business only when it is completed by a professional NSF to PST converter software that supports such conversion. The advantage of using professional software will be the security of your business data and a clean conversion without the chance of any corruption or deletion.
HCL Notes or earlier known as IBM Notes is still not nearby the users’ favorite email client. Therefore, many users are shifting towards the Microsoft Outlook email client Continue reading Best Way to Open HCL Notes NSF Files Without Installing HCL Notes
Office 365 is the most desirable platform for migrating data by the number of On-premises email clients owing to its attractive and constructive features for business. Continue reading Steps to Migrate Emails from Lotus Notes to Office 365
Lotus Notes as the email client shares information through emails, To-do list, calendar entries, contacts, schedule meetings, etc. stored in its database NSF file. Continue reading Steps to Import Lotus Notes Contacts and Calendar to Outlook
Lotus Notes, now known as HCL Notes, basically is a desktop workflow application generally used in corporate environments for email and in business workflows. Continue reading Fix File does not exist Error in Lotus Notes/HCL Notes While Opening Mail?