Repair Cyclic Redundancy Check or CRC Error in Outlook
While working on Outlook it has been found out that certain times after downloading emails when you try to access them, following kinds of error messages are generated which restricts you from doing so. This error could be any “Filepath\Filename.pst could not be accessed. Cyclic Redundancy Check” where Filepath is the location and filename is the name of the concerned PST file or “Data Error (cyclic redundancy check)”. Another error which is generated when you look for your downloaded emails in Deleted Items folder is "Error 0x80040116".
These errors are due to the corruption which is present in your PST file which also damages error-diagnosing code cyclic redundancy check. To remove this error following steps can be followed:
1. Go to the Command Prompt window
- For Windows and Windows 7 users, type cmd in the search box and press Enter. Login with your administrator password if it asks for and proceed further.
- For Windows XP users, go to the Start menu. Click on Run, now type cmd and then press OK.
2. Type chkdsk /f in your command prompt window and press Enter.
In case you receive any message like “The type of the file system is NTFS. Cannot lock current drive.” Or “chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts? (Y/N)”. Click on Yes and proceed further by pressing Enter.
3. When the process of chkdsk command finishes, close the command prompt window.
4. Start your MS Outlook again and go to your downloaded messages.
Hopefully these steps will help in getting rid of such errors and allow you to access your downloaded emails properly. Still at times it has been found out that these steps don't work so in such worst case scenario it is better to employ a professional tool like PST File Repair which is expert in repairing corrupted or damaged PST files. The result driven software helps in recovering the data from any kind of corrupted PST file.