Fix PST file cannot be accessed – Outlook error 0x80040116
File inaccessibility in MS Outlook is not a new thing. It happens due to several reasons where each reason showcases different technical faults; therefore, it becomes difficult to find out the exact reason responsible for Outlook file inaccessibility. The theme of the blog is to discuss the file inaccessibility issue due to error 0x80040116.
Error 0x80040116 when manifests, displays the error message, “Outlook data file cannot be accessed.” When it happens the Outlook window suddenly crashes and user cannot access the desired file anytime. To fix the issue, sometimes system restarting is advised. It may work at times but in case of severe disruptions, it is professionally advised to take technical assistance rather working by own.
You must be thinking about the reason of occurrence of error 0x80040116. There are four reasons sighted out and are accountable for such occurrence.
- Sudden system shutdown.
- Disparity in Application functioning.
- Infected Outlook PST files.
- Exceeded Mailbox saving capacity.
Considering the random succession of any of these reasons behind error 0x80040116, we can look for the suggestive measures by which occurrence of the error can be nullified.
Fixing error 0x80040116
To fix error 0x80040116 user can try any of the three methods:
- Disabling Cached Exchange Mode.
- Locating, Creating and Configuring new Outlook settings.
- Running Inbox Repair Utility.
Disabling Cached Exchange Mode: To disable cached exchange mode, user is required to follow these steps:
- Click File -> Account Settings -> Account Settings
- Click on Exchange Account tab, and then click Change
- In Offline Settings -> check the box 'Use Cached Exchange Mode'
- Exit the application and restart the Outlook
Locating, Creating and Configuring New Outlook files: These steps must be implemented when user is interested in creating new Outlook files.
- Locating default Outlook files:
- Click Start->Control Panel.
- In Control Panel->Mail->Mail Setup –Outlook->Show Profiles.
- Select existing Outlook profile -> Properties.
- In Mail Setup-Outlook dialog box - > Click Data Files.
- Select Data Files tab-> Account Settings dialog box, note down the name and location of the default file for the profile.
- Click Close.
- Creating a new Outlook Profile:
- Click Start->Control Panel.
- In the Mail Setup-Outlook dialog box -> Click Show Profiles.
- On General tab->Mail dialog box, click Add.
- In New Profile ->Type New Profile name and click Ok.
- In Add New Account dialog box, type email account information and click Next.
- Click ‘Finish’ to exit the screen.
- Configuring New Profile:
- From General tab of Mail dialog box, make the selection of Always Use this Profile.
- Under Always Use this Profile, click the drop-down menu and select the new profile.
- Click Ok to close the Mail dialog box.
Running Inbox Repair Utility: Inbox Repair Utility comes with MS Outlook to fix the nitty gritty issues. To run this utility user must know the Outlook version in use and the corresponding location of Scanpst.exe.
In case if the above methods do not work, then it is highly recommended to take assistance from third-party tool - PST repair tool.