AOL mail is a web portal from Verizon Media that grew in popularity in the 90s. Today, its popularity is on the decline and young Internet users are more attracted to Google’s Gmail email platform. But, it does mean that AOL has become obsolete, but it is actually thriving and many loyal users are constantly using this email platform.
The AOL mail gives you some useful features for each account-
- Email Protocol – IMAP, POP3, SMTP.
- Email attachment size limit – 25 MB.
- Mailbox size – 1000 new messages and 4000 old messages.
- Spam protection.
- Virus protection.
- Available domains – @aol.com, @love.com, @ygm.com.
If you are also using AOL for a long time and want to enjoy more features for your email account, then you do not need to upgrade to a new email client. But, you can add the AOL account with Outlook and increase the usefulness of the email communication. As AOL mail has the IMAP email protocol, so Outlook supports such email account.
Create the App password in AOL
To add the AOL account with Outlook, you should create a unique app password for the Outlook account especially.
- Login to AOL mail by following the URL – mail.aol.com
- Open the account drop-down and choose the Account Info option.
- Select Account Security.
- At the bottom of the page, you need to click Generate app password option.
- Open the Selection your app drop-down and choose Outlook Desktop.
- After selecting the Outlook Desktop option, click Generate button.
- A unique and new app password is generated for the Outlook application from the AOL account.
Create an AOL account in the Outlook application
Log out from the AOL mail and open the Outlook desktop application.
- Click File, then choose Add Account button.
- Choose the second option of Manual Setup or Additional server types. Then click Next.
- Select the second option ‘POP or IMAP.’ Click Next.
- Provide the completer user and Server Information. In the incoming mail server, type pop.aol.com and the outgoing mail server type smtp.aol.com, then go ahead in filling login information.
In the Password field, you need to input the app password that you have created in the AOL mail settings. Then click Next.
- Outlook will establish the connection with the AOL account and verify the account information with the server. It will test the account with a special test e-mail message. After successfully configuring the IMAP account with Outlook, your account will be created in Outlook. Click Finish.
- A new mailbox is created in Outlook that you can see in the left-hand pane.
How does IMAP protocol help in connecting with Outlook?
The Internet Messaging Access Protocol is universally accessible to the user because the inboxes and emails are not stored on the local computer but the cloud. The cloud storage gives the flexibility for the emails to be synchronized on third-party applications like Outlook. It can also be accessed on Outlook on the web and it will show you all the emails and folders present in the mailbox. There are several benefits of the IMAP protocol-
- There is two-way synchronization communication between the IMAP mail server and the email client. So, the changes applied by the user are reflected on each device or platform.
- Because the emails are present on the webmail, so the user can access the emails at any time or any place.
- It is easier to recover the emails from the webmail when any device or platform crashes.
- There is minimal storage occupied on the local computer.
- There is a keyboard-based email search facility in the IMAP accounts.
AOL mails follow the same IMAP protocols as other more popular email clients like Gmail or Hotmail. But, there are still millions of users accessing their emails on AOL. If you have added the AOL account with Outlook, then the mailbox data will save in the PST file. Whenever the PST file faces any problem like deletion or corruption, then you can use the ScanPST file tool to recover the items.
When the PST file is corrupt beyond the manual repair, then you should use a professional PST repair tool that can recover the complete file in a single scan. The software can repair the file, retrieve the mailboxes and let you save the selective data in the available output format.
Thank you! This saved my working life. I have been unable to re-connect aol to outlook since last Thursday and this solved it. Eternally grateful!!!