OST file is located in the user’s system. But specifically where and how to access them becomes a question of grave concern. Sometimes users are so skeptical about it that they don’t wish to access OST files unless it is very much needed in the eleventh hour. When such situation arrives, at that point the user starts looking for the possible location where the concerned OST file could be found. In the meantime, to look for the concerned OST file, the naive users tend to delete the real files instead of obsolete.
Why does one need to locate OST file?
The possible situations or scenarios where the Outlook user feels the need to find the exact OST file location are:
- When OST file backup is required (in non-availability of Import/Export wizard)
- When there is need to change the OST file location due to storage problems
- When OST file is outdated/corrupted and required to re-create a new OST file
- When OST file to PST file conversion is required
- When Exchange Server is unavailable or under maintenance
- When OST file is needed to be analysis
Is it really very easy to do? This question strikes the mind of the user whenever user thinks to locate OST file. So, the abrupt response to any user for such question is – Yes, it is quite easy to locate OST file and make the necessary changes. However, the condition applied is – ‘The location of OST file may differ with MS Outlook version being used’.
By the way, the default path locations for the Exchange OST files on the system are as follows:
For most of the Windows versions –
In detail, the default OST file location for different Outlook versions are as under.
|Outlook 2019, 2016 & 2013||C:\Users\admin\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook|
|Outlook 2010||C:\Documents\Outlook Files|
|Outlook 2007 & older versions||C:\Users\User Name\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook|
|Windows XP||C:\Documents and Settings\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook|
Microsoft Outlook users can locate OST file in all MS Outlook versions manually using its Account Settings feature. Let us know how.
Locating OST files in different Outlook Versions
The location of OST files differs with Outlook version being used by the user. Here are the steps that clearly mention the OST file location in different versions of Outlook.
For Outlook 2003 and prior versions users
- Access Outlook 2003 platform followed by Tools -> Email Accounts
- Make selection of Microsoft Exchange Account followed by clicking the View button.
- Click Microsoft Exchange Button followed by Change button.
- A dialog box will appear. Now, click on More Settings and again a dialog box will appear.
- Make selection of Advanced tab.
- Hit the Offline Folder File Settings and here the location of OST file will appear.
Due to some technical issues in old Outlook versions and some advancement in the newer version, most of the professionals have started using MS Outlook 2007. Locating OST file in Outlook 2007 follows different path:
- Open Outlook 2007 platform.
- Click Tools -> Account Settings -> select Emails.
- Select MS Exchange Server followed by clicking ‘Change’ in ‘Change E-mail Account’.
- Hit the More Settings and a dialog box will appear.
- Now click Advanced tab to click Offline Folder File Settings.
- The ‘Offline Folder File Settings’ displays the location of OST file(s).
- Hit the File Field and copy the path.
- Paste the file path and get the OST file access.
What if you are an advanced user of Outlook and had been using Outlook 2010 for quite some time? Then definitely, steps to be followed must be different:
- Open Outlook 2010 platform followed by selecting File tab.
- Click Account Settings ->Account Settings. The Account Settings dialog box will appear.
- Select MS Exchange Server.
- Hit the Change button. The ‘Change Account’ message will be reflected.
- From more settings click the ‘Microsoft Exchange’ dialogue box.
- From Advanced tab, click the Offline file settings option. ‘Offline Data File Settings’ dialog box will appear. In the File field, the OST file can be seen.
If you are using Outlook 2013 or Outlook 2016 or Outlook 2019, then the procedure for finding the OST files is same as in Outlook 2007. But be sure to know the version of Outlook before you step into the process of search out of the concerned OST files.
If you are too lazy – You need a different solution
Get a single stop solution to locate OST file without going deep into Outlook settings. This sort of assistance can be taken from external tools as they are comprised of sophisticated set of algorithms. To evaluate the performance of such tools, user can try SysTools OST to PST Converter trial version that mimics like licensed version with few saving abilities. This automatic solution does not need any email client to perform its functions. Automatic search for OST files on system drive is attainable through this tool apart from the conversion. So, the tool is advantageous in many ways via a single platform. Checkout this tool at the software website only for your gains!
We got to know the manual ways for finding OST file locations for different Microsoft Outlook versions using Outlook Account Settings feature and direct path locations for OST file based on different Outlook versions. For easier and automatic search and conversion of OST file, an all-rounder third-party Best OST to PST tool is also introduced for all.