In this help blog, you would find the free methods to export your Exchange EDB file data to Outlook PST file. The methods are explained with all details and limitations for the user’s convenience.
The mentioned objective is to export EDB to PST and the reason behind it depends on the users; need and perspective. The common reasons which users have are – to make the data portable, backup requirements in case of EDB file corruption due to oversized files, or more reasons, fulfilling legal or compliance needs, keeping previous data record, fear of Exchange Server crash down, reduce mailbox sizes, making storage space, etc. Mostly users convert their EDB files to Outlook PST file to have a backup of the Exchange mailboxes as security and seeking client migrations.
Free Methods to Convert Exchange EDB to PST File
If we talk about how to perform export of EDB to PST, we have the following three solutions.
- Export through Ex-Merge Utility
- Export through Exchange Admin Center
- Export through Exchange PowerShell (Exchange Management Shell) commands
All these native solutions are free of cost but obviously include certain limitations. So, the users are required to have patience and should learn about the possible risks before executing these solutions. However, we are going to explain each solution one-by-one to the users.
It is recommended to have a complete backup of the EDB file before trying any of the below explained free processes as a prevention measure.
1. Export through Ex-Merge Utility
It is a free utility provided by Microsoft which exports EDB mailboxes to PST and imports PST mailboxes to EDB file. You can download the tool here. The primary requirement is Exchange mailboxes for export need to have full permissions for export.
This method has following limitations:
- Risk of data loss
- Exports data only upto 2GB.
- Supports earlier Exchange versions mostly.
- Lengthy, time-consuming process.
- Works in older Exchange Server versions like Exchange 2003 and earlier ones.
- Launch the downloaded and installed Ex-Merge utility. On the Microsoft Exchange Mailbox Merge Wizard, Click on Next to start.
- Under Procedure Selection, select the second radio button Two-step procedure and click on Next.
- Now, select the first option Extract data from Exchange Server Mailbox and click on Next.
- In the Source Server window, provide your Exchange Server credentials like name, domain name, etc. and then click on Next to continue.
- Now, in the Data Selection Criteria, switch to the Import Procedure tab and then select the option Archive data to target store. Click on OK.
- In the next window, make selection of the EDB mailboxes for export and then click on Next.
- Next, in Target Directory section, provide the destination path for the PST file at the system location. Click on Next to start the export process.
- You can see the progress of the export process. Once it is completed, click on Finish to exit the process.
- Hence, the export of EDB to PST is completed.
2. Export through Exchange Admin Center
If you want to export EDB mailboxes of the latest Exchange Server versions to PST, there is another way for this. The Exchange Admin Center facilitates the export for which users need to have a ready shared folder and must have assigned export permissions for the EDB mailboxes. For assigning permissions, user can go to Permissions>admin roles>Recipient Management. Then add Mailbox Import and Export role to the mailboxes.
- Does not support earlier Exchange versions.
- Good requirement of technical expertise.
- Risk of data deletion during the process.
- Cannot deal with corrupt EDB mailboxes.
- PST file must be saved on a shared network path.
- Need Exchange Server or client machine.
- Need for Mailbox Import and Export Role assigned in advance.
- Open the Exchange Admin Center on your Exchange system and then follow recipients>mailboxes. Now, from the list of mailboxes, select the desired mailbox for export, right-click on it and select the option Export to PST.
- The Export to a .pst file window will get open. Here, you can add or change the EDB mailboxes using browse feature and make selection between the given export options. Click on Next to move further.
- Next, browse and add the shared folder path to save the PST file. After that, click on Next.
- At the final step, you can add any mailbox to receive the notifications for the export process. After adding the mailbox, click on Finish.
- The mailbox will get successfully moved to that shared folder after the export gets completed.
3. Export through Exchange Management Shell commands
It is the most technical free way to export EDB mailboxes to PST and it works for Exchange 2007 and above versions. To perform this method, user must have a shared folder for PST and the Mailbox Import and Export roles must be assigned to the mailboxes ready for export.
- High level of technical expertise is required.
- Database with those mailboxes should be mounted
- Does not work with corrupt EDB mailboxes.
- Not for non-technical users.
- Need for supervision for correct execution.
- Need for Administrator privileges.
First, execute this command to retrieve the complete list of the mailboxes from the Exchange Server database.
Provide the Exchange mailbox database name in the above command.
Run this cmdlet in your Exchange Management Shell (with administrative rights) window in order to export EDB mailbox to the PST location.
Here, provide your EDB mailbox name at the place of Mailbox and provide the shared folder path at place of <destination file path>.
Users can check the status of the mailbox export request using this command.
The export would be quick if the correct command is executed, otherwise user can bear file corruption also.
Hence, you now know how to export EDB to PST by three different free methods. We hope this information helps you and if you are not finding these methods satisfying even after trials or facing difficulties due to associated limitations, use the popular-in-demand EDB to PST Converter tool for instant, efficient EDB export. The best thing about this tool is it does not have any above-mentioned limitations and also shows great compatibility to all Exchange Server and Outlook versions.
For converting Exchange EDB mailboxes to PST file format or exporting Exchange database content to PST file for backup or other requirements, different free processes are explained and its limitations are also stated for user’s look out. And if any convenience is experienced, users are advised to take help from the mentioned EDB to PST Converter tool which suppresses all limitations of free procedures.