OST file deletion is mandatory to reduce disk space. Prior making any such deletion user must take care of the OST files to be deleted because the wrong move could be even costlier. The OST files to be deleted potentially belong to either Outlook platform or Exchange platform. Irrespective of the place of origin, the concerned file can be deleted to save the disk space. The other reason for such deletion is avoiding the customary recovery process and unnecessary waste of money by purchasing the licensed version.
Therefore, to perfectly deal with damaged OST files and a possibility to wipe out, user is strongly recommended to follow these steps:
- Close all MS Office applications.
- Hit Start and select the Run option.
- Enter ‘%APPDATA%\Microsoft\Outlook’ command in Run Window and click OK.
- In the Explorer window, user can select the OST file to be deleted. This can also be done by using the delete icon that deletes the OST files permanently.
- This how the concerned OST files can be effectively deleted from the user’s end.
Deleting the OST files as desired is quite witty. However, creating new OST files is easier than ever thought.
Steps to create fresh OST files
- Restart MS Outlook. This time ensure that it is online.
- Due to non-existent condition of the Outlook file, as deletion took place before, a message will get pop up that reads, “C:\Exchange directory\file name.ost” could not be found.
- Hit the ‘OK’ button to close the dialog box displaying the error message.
- Once done, an Offline Folder File Settings will be opened. Click OK to close the dialog box.
- Go to Tools -> Synchronize All Folders.
- A new OST files will be created.
Once this is done user can use the Outlook in Offline Mode. Once the new OST files get synchronized, the changes made in them get automatically updated whenever the network connection is available.
Prior deletion of OST files, user must try the compaction of OST files. The compaction of OST files also assists in saving the disk space up to some extent. To move into more productive way, it is recommended to convert OST to PST and other other file formats and delete the existing files. This makes a sort of back up of the OST files and saves the disk space as well.