MS Outlook, the popular email client carries attachments as the vital informational data. The attachments are generally enclosed within an email to communicate the information through documents, images, media, etc. It shares a large storage size part of MS Outlook. The larger the attachment size, the larger is the size of a PST file. So, we can say that attachments are clearly important from the Outlook usage point of view. But, sometimes there are the conditions when you face difficulty or a lot of time to open the Outlook attachment. Also, the time rate is large when you try to link an attachment to an email. There may be different reasons for this delay in opening and linking of Outlook attachments. Some of the reasons that we can consider are –
- Large updates in Outlook – If you are updating Outlook that takes too much time and in turn, it is consuming a large space on the disk, your Outlook application performance may get slower.
- Data Dynamic Exchange is corrupted – One of the reasons of delay in opening Outlook attachments may be crashed Data Dynamic Exchange.
- Limited storage in Outlook – The slow performance of Outlook may be due to very less space in storage field. This can ultimately lead to corruption in database files.
- Corrupt Outlook Profile – Your Outlook profile must be in a good condition for fine serving of Outlook properties. A corrupted Outlook profile may affect the attachments as well.
We have discussed the reasons for delay in opening of Outlook attachments in Outlook. It is but obviously annoying when we get delay in our crucial work and not able to solve it on time. The user ultimately gets tensed and this again hampers his performance. At this time, the most important thing to be proceeding with is to find the solutions for the problem.
What you can do to fix the issue?
To cope up with the situation of interruption in opening of Outlook attachments, you can perform operations on our own. You can try some manual tricks to solve this problem. The manual solutions which you can go for are mentioned below with details.
Disable Dynamic Data Exchange
The first thing you can do to fix the slow performance issue is disabling Dynamic Data Exchange. This is how you can do this.
- Go to Start, select Control Panel and choose Folder option.
- From the File types button, select the attachment file type and click Advanced.
- From Open Action, select Edit and then clear the DDE checkbox.
- Click OK and close the window.
Open Outlook and try opening attachments again.
Check size of Outlook folders and subfolders
To have a good performance of Outlook properties, the files and folders size must never exceed the storage limit. All the unnecessary emails and attachments should be checked from time to time. You can save attachments at different drive location in order to prevent the PST file getting oversized. You can clean the mailbox or try compressing the PST file with the in-built utilities. This will help you good to improve Outlook performance and prevent delay in opening of attachment.
Update MS Outlook
Many of the times, the user worries for minor issues. There is a possibility that the user is suffering from the Outlook performance issue because he is using an older version. The application requires an update. If the user has an Outlook without the latest update, he could go for the updating of MS Outlook application.
Activate Cached Exchange Mode in Outlook
For the Exchange users, it is essential to activate Cached Exchange Mode for smooth performance of MS Outlook. This can be done easily.
- Open your Outlook application. From the File option, select Account Settings and then again Account Settings.
- In the Email tab, choose your Exchange account and then click Change
- Now, select the checkbox Use Cached Exchange Mode.
- Now, restart the Outlook application to analyze the change.
Close the application and again restart it to analyze the difference in performance.
Clear Enable Protected View for Outlook Attachments
If this checkbox Enable Protected View for Outlook Attachments is selected, it might cause the attachments to get opened slower. To fix this issue, you can perform these steps –
- Open our Outlook application. From the File tab, select Options.
- A dialogue box Word Options will get opened. Now choose the last option Trust Center on the left panel.
- Click Trust Center Settings. This will open the Trust Center dialogue box.
- Click Protected View option and clear the last checkbox Enable Protected View for Outlook Attachments. Finally, click OK.
This process is to enable the Word files open smoothly. To enable all the MS Office application open smoothly in Outlook, you need to disable the protected view property separately for each application.
Try Safe Mode
While automatic email scanning is done by Antivirus programs, this can affect the opening of Outlook attachments. This issue can be fixed by running Outlook in Safe Mode. To do this, press Windows key with R and then typing CMD. This will open the Command Prompt. Now type this command to run the Outlook in Safe Mode – outlook.exe/safe.
The above mentioned tricks to solve the delay issue in opening of Outlook attachments may do the desired work or not. There is always a chance of incomplete solution or data loss while performing it. If the problem remains as it is using the mentioned tricks, you must go for third-party Outlook PST repair software which is capable to repair PST files and extract attachments from Outlook effectively. The software helps the user to fix all the issues related to the PST file within minutes using an interactive, simple user-interface. Even a non-technical user can easily run the tool without any hesitance. The tool allows quick accessibility to the Outlook attachments using 2-3 steps. It supports almost all versions of Outlook.