Importing the Offline Storage Files to Thunderbird has always been a complicated task. The task is not that easy, and it requires assistance. This blog will help the users to understand
the easy processes through which they can import OST to Thunderbird directly.
What are OST files?
The OST files are the Offline Storage Files supported in MS Outlook. These files can store the data of the mailbox, such as emails, contacts, calendars, tasks and much more. These files are operative in an offline mode as well. This means that even when the connection has timed out, the users can access the OST files, and all the changes will be saved once the connection is restored.
The OST files are only functional in MS Outlook. The data of these files cannot be directly imported or exported. Therefore, importing OST files to Thunderbird is not a direct process.
Thunderbird is an important email client. It is an open-source desktop-based email client which is accessible across multiple applications. It is easy to use and cost-effective as well. Therefore, the users want to import OST to Thunderbird.
Let us explore the steps to make this happen.
Method 1: Conversion of OST to Thunderbird
There is no one-stop solution in order to convert the OST files to Thunderbird. Therefore, this method is divided into two parts. The first step describes the process of converting OST to PST files, and then the second step is to convert the PST files to Thunderbird. Let us explore the given steps to import OST to Thunderbird one by one:
Step 1: Converting OST to PST files
There are, again, two methods to convert the OST files to PST files.
OST To PST Archive Method
- Launch the application of MS Outlook.
- Click on File and then Archive
- Pull your file/folder to archive and browse the location where this archived file has to be saved.
- Click on Finish
Import/Export OST To PST Method
The users require an active connection with the Exchange Server to perform this method. The users should also download and install the application of MS Outlook on the desktop.
- Launch the application of MS Outlook.
- Click on the File Menu. Click on Import/Export.
- The Import and Export Wizard activates. Click the Export to a File option. Click on the Next option.
- Select the Outlook Data File (.pst) from the list and click Next.
- Select the folder from where the files have to be exported. The users can also select the subfolders in this process.
- Select the target folder where the converted OST file has to be saved. Click on the finish button to end the wizard. The new PST file would now be saved at the target location.
Drag and Drop OST To PST method
This is yet another free method to convert the OST to PST files. Follow the given steps to perform this step:
- Open the application of MS Outlook. Create a new PST file in your account.
- Choose the OST files that you wish to drag. Drag these files to the newly created PST file folder.
- The OST files would now be saved in a PST file format.
Professional Tool Method
If the users cannot convert the OST files to the PST files using these manual methods discussed above, they can use a professional OST to PST converter. This tool is very effective in transferring data without loss. It is an effective and fast method to fulfil the given objective. It is very easy to perform this method. These tools are error-free as well. With this method, the users can easily import OST to Thunderbird.
Step 2: PST To Thunderbird
Once the OST files have been converted to the PST files, the second step is to convert the PST files to Thunderbird. The steps required to export the PST files to Thunderbird have been explained in the following way:
- Launch the application of MS Outlook. Make this application the default application for sending and receiving emails. To make MS Outlook the default application for sending and receiving emails, click the Start Button and select Default Programs. Select ‘Set your default programs’ as the option.
- Go to the programs tab. Search for MS Outlook. Click set this program as default. Save the settings and click on the Ok button. MS Outlook would now become your default application for sending and receiving emails.
- Load the Thunderbird and click on the Display the Thunderbird menu option.
- Click on Tools and then click on Import.
- Select the email the users wish to import. Users can also select the Import Everything option and proceed after clicking next.
- Change the file type to Outlook. Click on the next option.
- Click on the finish option, and the process to convert the PST files to Thunderbird will be accomplished.
Instead of following this step, the users can also directly import OST to Thunderbird. The users can choose the OST to PST software. These professional tools help to protect the data during the process of conversion. They can help to convert the data to file format. They are very easy to use.
With the methods explained above to import OST to Thunderbird, it would become easy for the users to transform the data from one form to another. The users must follow these steps in order so that the end result is not affected. The users can pick any method for converting the OST files to Thunderbird.