OST files are one of the most important folders developed by Microsoft. They help save the information and other allied data in the offline mode, also referred to as the Cached Exchange Mode. It carries the actual file stored in the Mailbox. These files can be accessed even when offline. The only precondition is to save the files in the OST format. These files ease down editing the files even in absentia of an Exchange Server.
What is the OST File?
OST – Offline Storage File is related to both Outlook and Exchange. OST file is the saved copy of Exchange Server mailbox data that is saved on the default file location. Outlook users can work offline through OST files and make changes as per their wish to emails, that automatically update while being connected with the Exchange Server.
Reasons for OST Corruption
An OST file is not affected by Exchange database corruptions or other Exchange Server errors. However, the corruption source could be during the synchronization process of the OST file with the Exchange Server. It can be caused due to any hardware and software issue. Another issue with the OST file could be the loss of some items during the synchronization process. Sometimes the OST file fails to connect or synchronize with the Exchange Server and becomes an orphaned OST file. There are several other reasons why OST Files are corrupt. The list has been given as follows:
- The intrusion of an unauthorized malware or virus
- Termination of a running program in an improper way
- Oversized PST File
- Issues in the Network
This calls for feasible free solutions that would fix the OST file’s corruption. You can find these solutions for free, but these are only recommended for a trial. There is however so guarantee of data security and data protection issues while using the native methods. But, as mentioned, users can make trials to check if these solutions work for them or not.
Free Solutions to repair OST file corruption Issues
Perform the following native fixes in order to eliminate the corruption or repair corrupt OST file.
A. In-built Repair Applications
Microsoft has provided two in-built repair applications, scanOST.exe and scanPST.exe.
scanOST.exe – It is an in-built application, also known as the Integrity Check tool, to repair corrupt OST file. It supports Outlook 2007 and the versions before it only.. The path location for this scanOST.exe is different for different Outlook versions the process of the same has been given as follows to repair OST file using scanOST.exe using the scanOST.exe application stepwise.
- Locate the scanOST.exe application, right-click on it and select Run as administrator option.
- Provide the profile name for the corrupt OST file.
- Choose either Scan all folders option to scan all the folders of the mailbox or select individual folder as per your choice. Next, select the checkbox saying Repair errors and click on Begin Scan option to start the scanning and repair process. The scanning and repair process will start showing progress.
- After sometime, the repair process will get successfully completed. A message will be displayed for the successful repair. Click OK.
- Check if the OST file is working now or not.
scanPST.exe – Microsoft’s built-in utility known as Inbox Repair Tool helps to repair Outlook PST files of size up to 2GB with minor corruptions only. However, users can also repair OST file of the latest versions of Outlook using this feature. This tool includes an option to back up their file before repairing. Many users complain that this exe does not work well for the OST file.
In that case, it is suggested to repair the Outlook program through Control Panel. All you need to do is to select the Microsoft Office program under the Programs and Features section in Control Panel on your system and then click on the Uninstall option at the top bar. Finally, select the Repair option to start the repair process of this program.
B. Repair corrupt OST File with the help of Enable Mode in Outlook.
Often, an OST file may not function owing to a defective plug-in generated by the software. In such a situation, it is advisable to run MS Outlook safely by disabling the plugins. The OST files could be backed up and run easily. Follow the given steps for this:
- Click the ‘Windows Explorer’ Icon. Go running and enter Outlook.exe/safe.
- Click Ok.
- Close the running Outlook application first
- Go to the system’s Control Panel and click on the Mail option
- In the Mail Setup-Outlook dialogue box, click on Email accounts option.
- The Account Settings page will get open. Switch to Data Files tab and select the OST file from the accounts list. Then click on Open File location option.
- The OST file location is enabled. Here, right-click on the OST file with .ost format and click on the Delete option to delete OST file. To delete it permanently, remove it from the Recycle Bin as well.
- Check whether Exchange Server is well connected. Now, open the Outlook application and the OST file will get automatically generated due to synchronization with Exchange Server.
C. Generating New OST File
This method is recommended when the repair fails due to the in-built applications. There is no need to backup the entire process at all as the profile of the documents is itself a copy. But one thing must be ensured that the Exchange is well synchronized with Outlook without any interruptions like network issues throughout the regeneration process. The process for recreating the new OST file is given as under:
Note: This OST regeneration method will work not work efficiently if the user has large mailbox size in Exchange Server or the internet connection is poor.
Hence, these were the native solutions for repair corrupt OST which users can try for free. But, certain limitations like complexity, unreliability, risk of data loss or corruption, need of internet and server connection, etc. with these methods are inseparable. Moving to the alternative way, third-party tools is the best choice when none of the native solutions are working or its limitations are bothering you. OST to PST Converter tool is the most recommended software for the OST file recovery.
It can repair OST file items with the most advanced algorithms which are inbuilt in the tool’s programming. Advanced filters and simple GUI are its specialties. So, buy this tool once and forget about future OST corruption issues. If you want complete features knowledge and tool assessment, feel free to visit the online website.
There are many free ways using which you can try to repair corrupt OST file but all of it requires patience, efforts and sometimes luck. So, better be well prepared to deal with such nasty OST related errors or corruption by having a top-class, efficient Best OST to PST Converter tool as mentioned in the blog.