To recover any database is not a challenge these days due to the availability of numerous software resolutions. The complexity arises when the recovered/fresh database does not get mount on the exchange server, creating a technical havoc. Due to the variety of technical snags, which are accountable for database mounting issues, it becomes difficult for the server administrator to consider the solution related to any single issue. Moreover, if the administrator is looking for the manual methods to deal with them, it is necessary to know the notorious issues among them.
1. Exchange Jet Error 1018: The most often occurring mounting error in Exchange Server. It simply corrupts the EDB files and displays, ““JET_errReadVerifyFailure”.
Cause: Occurs due to page-level corruption in the EDB files which are beyond the scope of repair with the Exchange Server’s inbuilt utility. This error manifests during creation of the online backup i.e. cloud.
- Online Backup Restoration: By employing the reliable backup media like NTBackup or Windows Server, the administrator can successfully restore log files and database files from the online back-up.
- Restoration by ESEUTIL Command: Before initiating the Eseutil command take a backup of the database. Then execute the restoration process by Eseutil/p command. One the process gets complete; ensure the process correctness by defragmenting the database.
2. Exchange Jet Error 1216: 1216 errors appear when some important files are deleted removed or substituted. This is reported by the header information assessment in log files and databases.
Cause: Error 1216 is caused because of abrupt stopping of a running storage group. If the administrator runs the recovery method, then there are two possibilities, namely: the running file may not include the recovery of the deleted files, and when the storage group initiates, the header information is examined by the system and the error will revisit.
- To resolve the stubborn error 1216, the following steps must be followed:
To identify the affected files, the following commands must be run;
– ESEUTIL /mh | find /i “consistent”
It modifies a bit with Microsoft Exchange Server versions 2003 and beyond:
ESEUTIL /mh | find /i “Shutdown”
After the above command finishes its execution, check a sample of the output.
- Transfer the files to the safe heaven before undergoing the restoration. Then, restore the remaining files by mounting them.
- Restore the database from the backup.
- Repair the database.
3. Exchange Error 1056749110: The situation for mailbox restoration turns severe when error 1056749110 appears on the screen as, “Error was found for RSG, Test because: Error occurred in the step: Moving messages. This mailbox exceeded the maximum number of corrupted items specified for this move mailbox operation, error code: -1056749110”.
Cause: The error message gets displayed when there are some corrupt items present in the mailbox.
Resolution: It is recommended to proceed for restoration of the same mailbox (having corrupt items) from Recovery Storage Group to a production mailbox by using the command: Restore-Mailbox -RSGMailbox “RSG, Test” -RSGDatabase MySmpl-Exch \RSG_DB\db11 -id “Recovery, Mailbox” -TargetFolder “Recovered Mails of RSG mailbox” –BadItemLimit 1000, where the baditemlimitswitch is the command to skip the recovery of the bad items in the mailbox.
4. Exchange Error 0x8004010f: This error is known to appear when the Information Store fails to initialize. The error message reads, “Unable to initialize the Microsoft Exchange Information Store service – Error 0x8004010f”. It simply dysfunctions the smooth functionality of the server.
Cause: Whenever there is a synchronization issue between the clocks on the server system and the client’s system, the error manifests.
To fix the error manually, follow these steps:
- Restart the server.
- Ensure that the domain is perfectly configured.
- Make sure that the domain is online.
- Restart Exchange Active Directory Topology Service.
- Launch the command prompt and run exchange server as an administrator.
- Run command Net time \\ADServerName /Set.
- Restart Exchange Active Directory Topology Service.
5. SMTP Virtual Server and Connector Configuration: SMTP virtual server is an instance of the SMTP service to run the exchange server services. It is bound to a particular IP address on a well-known port, Port 25.
Cause: The most possible cause of issue with SMTP server is the faulty server connection along with possible faults in the port value.
Resolution: The relevant connections must be checked followed by the correct port value. Both of the tasks can be performed physically.
6. Dirty Shutdown Issue: The transaction logs in the exchange server keep the record of the every transaction made. If by fault any of the internal logs get deleted, then the exchange server fails to perform and abruptly shuts down.
Cause: The dirty shutdown issue appears when any file form the transaction logs gets deleted.
Resolution: It is recommended to keep the backup of all the files. If deletion is required, then the subjected file must be checked for the duplicity. On finding the duplicate file, the target file must be deleted.
7. Mailbox reached its Limit (16 GB): When the exchange server reaches its limit, the following technical errors display:
Event ID: 1112 Description: The Exchange Server mailbox has reached its threshold. has reached the maximum allowed size. Trying to unmount the database.
Event ID: 445 Description: Information Store (3160) The database “D:\Program Files\Exchsrvr\MDBDATA\priv1.edb” has reached its maximum size limit. If the database cannot be restarted, an offline defragmentation may be performed to reduce its size.
Cause: Occurs when the Exchange Server mailbox limit exceeds 16 GB.
Resolution: It is recommended to leverage RSG feature of the Exchange Server, so that you can easily mount the database from the storage group and use the Exmerge.exe to extract mailbox from the database.
The manual methods are quite successful to the major extent; however, to make the swift recovery and mounting of Exchange database, it is technically advised to take assistance from the third-party tool – Exchange Server Recovery tool. To realize the true functionality of the software, user can try the licensed version of the tool.