EML files are generally archived files generated by Outlook Express, Outlook, Thunderbird, etc. email clients. These files include email message, properties, metadata, attachments, etc. Sometimes, when you found or received some EML files from any source and you wonder what content is inside it, then it is required to know some tricks to open EML files in Windows. This help blog is written just for those users who have this requirement and want to gain knowledge for any future requirements. Carefully read the below-given section to find out your suitable way to open EML files.
List of Programs That Opens EML Files
Here, we have the list of supported programs or applications that readily opens the EML files.
- Firefox Web Browser
- File Viewer Plus
- Outlook Express Email Client
- IBM Notes/Domino Email Client
- Microsoft Outlook Email Client
- MBOX Supported Email Clients
- Windows Mail Email Client
- Windows Live Mail Email Client
Different Methods to Open EML Files in Windows Environment
We are providing you some tricks with described steps to open EML files in order to view the content within it.
- View EML File as Plain Text
- Use of Email Client
- In Web Browser (Changed Extension)
- Open EML File via Professional Utility
1. View EML File as Plain Text
It is the simplest method to open EML files but is restricted to display only the body content of the file and not the rest formatting within the message instead shows bizarre characters in its place. Let us know the method steps first.
- Go to your EML file, right-click on it and select Open with option. Now from the opened list, select Notepad option.
Note: Users can open EML files within Microsoft Word or Text file too in the same manner.
- It would open EML file in the Notepad application in certain coding form.
- Simply, find the body content of email message within <body> and <html> tags. For reference inks, visit <a =ref tags. These links can be copied and pasted in the Web Browser to have preview of its included content.
Note: As mentioned, this method would display only message body content and reference links and not feasible to open or view any attachments linked to the message.
2. Use of Email Client
This method involves use of any email client platform available in the Windows environment to open EML files. Let us know by some simple steps to perform this.
- Reach the folder location on your system with the EML files. Select the EML file, right-click on it, select Open with option and choose the Mail, Windows Live Mail or any other email client like Microsoft Outlook, Outlook Express option.
- The EML file would get open immediately with the complete message details and formatting.
- Users can view everything within the EML file and also able to download attachments from the email client platform.
Note: EML files can be easily dragged and dropped to the already opened email client such as Outlook, Outlook Express, Windows Live Mail, etc. directly to add it and then view on selection.
3. In Web Browser (Changed Extension)
You can view the EML files in web browsers also by changing the file extension from .eml to .mht. Out of all web browsers, Internet Explorer will support MHTML files better and displays the same preview as it would be on the email client.
Note: File Extensions need to be enabled first in case the user has modified it to “hidden” or it is “hidden” by default. For that, go to the Windows Explorer>click on View tab and then check for the “File name extensions” there. Enable it if required.
This is how you can execute this process.
- Go to your EML files location. Select each file, right-click on it and then choose Rename option.
- Now remove the .eml extension from the file name and replace it with .mhtml file extension.
- A pop asking for extension change would occur. Confirm for your action.
- Now that fie extension has changed, try opening the changed MHTML file with Internet Explorer browser.
- You would see the EML file content in the same view with MHTML file.
Note: With this method, it is not possible to download or view attachments.
4. Open EML File via Professional Utility
The above manual solutions either need email client applications or extension change while using the professional utility like Email Viewer, the only requirement are the EML files. You had found that some above solutions restricts downloading or viewing the attachment files but here all attachments are previewed in detail with a single click. The proficient EML to PST tool supports Outlook Express or other email clients’ generated EML files easily.
Let us know the procedure which this software actually follows.
- Start the EML Viewer application installed on your system.
- Add the desired number of EML files from the system location with the given option.
- Now each EML file will get listed and by selecting the desired one, you can view its full preview along with Metadata (From, To, Subject, etc.), email properties and the added attachments. Click on the attachment to view its complete content.
- You can also save the list of EML files to HTML file format if you want.
So, it is quite simple to work on this tool to view EML files content.
Out of all valid solutions to open EML files in Windows, the best way is through a third-party utility which integrates a simple user-interface and delivers quick display of EML files. The tool that supports complete EML display including attachments, metadata, etc. All these and even more properties are available in the EML Viewer tool for opening EML files in Windows.