Microsoft Outlook is the de-facto leader when you talk about the email management environment. It empowers itself with the strong features of Microsoft, and a constant update in the various versions has kept the Outlook most up-to-date and available at the very digital platform. You can manage your emails from your smartphone, tablet, or laptop when you are away from your Office. You don’t have an online connection to write the mail, but write it offline and send it later. It is the reason why the professional is adapting the Outlook at a rapid speed and are trying various methods to migrate their emails from other platforms to Outlook. The default data file of the Outlook is a PST file and some other platforms like Mozilla Thunderbird, SeaMonkey, Eudora, Windows Live Mail, etc. they all use the EML file as the data file.
EML file consists of a single email message including the message text, subject, sender, recipient, date of message, attachments, etc. Although you can open the EML file using the Outlook directly, it is better to import the file for permanent use.
If you are using the default Windows Live Mail to organize your mails, then you can find the EML file location with the help of following steps;
- Login to Windows Live Mail. Go to File, then click Options and select Mail.
- Select the Advanced tab and click Maintenance.
- Click the Store Folder icon.
- Here is the total path of your message, and you can copy the path.
- Now, when you follow the path and visit the EML file location folder, then you will see that all the messages are present in the EML format.
Once you got all the EML files’ location, it the time to import them to Outlook application.
Import EML files to Outlook 2019, 2016, 2013, & 2010
You can use two methods to import the EML files to Outlook;
Export messages from Windows Live Mail
You should have both Windows Live Mail and MS Outlook open, and Outlook should be set as the default email manager.
- Start Windows Live Mail and go to File option. Then click on Export emails, then select Email messages option.
Note: In older versions of Windows Live Mail or its Windows XP version, press Alt key on the keyboard to open the File menu in the application.
- Select Microsoft Exchange option, then click Next.
- A message appears and shows that the messages will export from Windows Live Mail to Microsoft Outlook or Microsoft Exchange. Click OK.
- Select the email folders which you need to export. You can select all folders also. Click OK.
- Select the Outlook profile and click OK. The export process begins.
- Click Finish when Export Complete wizard appears.
- Check the exported emails in the Microsoft Outlook application. You can export these emails to PST file format using Import/Export feature of the Outlook application.
When you have checked the EML file location and got all the emails, then you can directly drag the messages from source email client and drop it to target email client also.
- Go to the EML file location of the Windows Live Mail (default path location is –
C:\Users\[Username]\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Live Mail) and select the emails.
Note: If Outlook application is installed on another system, then users can move the Windows Live Mail EML files to another system and paste it there with the help of external storage device like Pen Drive, Hard Drive, etc.
- Open the Outlook folder where you want to keep the messages
- Drag the EML files and drop them to the Outlook folder
- Check whether messages open in the Outlook or not
NOTE: You should take the backup of EML files because you may lose the messages during the export or drag-&-drop processes.
If you do not want to follow the above risky manual procedures where conversion or process to move EML files to Outlook PST files format is not reliable, not suitable for large-sized files and not always available then we suggest a simple way that is using the professional EML to PST Converter tool. This tool provides instant transfer of EML files to PST files with a choice of selection and without any requirement of Windows Live Mail application installation on the system. There is much more to know about the tool features, so visit its website to get the completion information.