MS Outlook is one of the most important applications that help clients to send and receive emails. It comes with many latest features. It is the best application for executing
professional communication. Despite being a professional tool, it has limitations. There may be situations wherein one or the other error crops up and makes it impossible or difficult for a user to work on MS Outlook. One such error often prompted is “Outlook not able to find OST.”
This error is very common. It usually occurs when the OST files are damaged or corrupted. This error can also occur after MS Outlook has been upgraded and reinstalled. Therefore, in such a situation, it is essential to understand how to fix this error. This blog would help all the users to know how they can rely on to solve this error. Let us explore all these ways to solve the error that Outlook not able to find OST file individually.
Reasons for this error
There are different reasons why the OST files go missing and cannot be opened. The same reasons for Outlook not being able to find the OST file have been given in the following way:
- Data Storage Device Crash: If the drive in which the data from the MS application is stored crashes down, the users can’t open the OST files.
- Power Failure: If the user is synchronizing or customizing the OST files, and meanwhile, the power abruptly shuts down, then in such a situation, the OST file cannot be opened and hence go missing.
- Enormous Size OST File: If the user tries to transfer the data from a smaller OST file to a larger OST file, then the larger OST file must have the space to process the additional data. If the larger file does not have enough storage, the OST files will not automatically open.
- Corruption in the OST file: If the OST file is corrupt or damaged and cannot be accessed through any other means, then it will continue to show this error.
Methods to fix the error
Reboot the system
If MS Outlook has been recently updated or reinstalled, then in such a situation, the users may need to reboot the system. Sometimes, even if the application has not been updated for a long time, the OST files may not open. Downloading and Installing the latest updates might solve this issue. It will solve the error that Outlook not able to find OST.
Removing the customizations
The customizations of the panel may often prevent the OST files from opening. The users can change the customizations made in the settings to solve this issue. To remove these customizations, the users can go to Windows Run Utility and then enter the command “Outlook.exe/resetnavpane.
Repair the OST Files
If the OST files cannot be accessed after relying on the methods mentioned above, then the users can rely on the following method, which is to repair OST files. The OST files which cannot be opened can be repaired with the help of an inbuilt tool of MS Outlook. These tools are called ScanPST.exe and ScanOst.exe. This tool is already located in the installation directory of MS Outlook. This tool is useful for repairing small-sized files. The users can follow the given steps to achieve the desired result.
- Shut down the application of MS Outlook. Delete OST files in the system. To discover the location of the OST files, enter %LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft\Outlook\ in the Windows Search and then press the Enter key. All the folders where the OST files are stored will appear before the user.
- Delete the selected OST files. MS Outlook will automatically recreate new OST files in your system.
- Scan the newly created OST files.
- Select the Repair Errors Checkbox
- Click on Begin Scan Choice.
Connect New Offline OST file
This is yet another way to repair the damaged OST files and fix the error that Outlook not able to find OST file. The users can follow the given steps for this purpose:
- Close the application of MS Outlook.
- Click on Start and then click on Control Panel.
- Double-click on the mail option.
- Select the email accounts tab and then pick the relevant exchange account.
- Click on Change and uncheck the Use Cached Exchange Mode.
- Click on More settings and then click on the Advanced option.
- Select the Offline Folder File Settings.
- Click on Disable Offline Use and click on the Yes option.
- Click on the Offline Folder File Settings again.
- Select the OST file location, click on the Browse option, and click on the OK option.
- Click on Yes and then select Apply to all.
- Select the Use Cached Exchange Mode in the Cached Exchange Mode settings.
- Click on OK and then select Next and then click on Finish.
If the issue with the OST files cannot be solved due to these methods, which have been explained in detail above, users can easily rely on professional OST to PST software tools. These professional tools can fix the issue of the OST files irrespective of the size. This tool is very easy to access. There is no risk of data loss, and it can perform the steps on time. It helps to recover all the forms of the data stored in OST files, such as messages, contacts, and calendars.
Therefore, in light of these solutions for Outlook not able to find OST file error, the user can choose any method. All of these solutions are very feasible to perform. These functions enable the user to get the desired result on time. These solutions help to recover the OST files in the minimum amount of time. The user can pick and choose any solution depending on the surrounding situations.