Microsoft Exchange Server is the most extensively used windows application that works very well with MS Outlook. All those organizations relying on Microsoft infrastructure usually choose Exchange Server to integrate with MS Outlook for email communication. It secures all the information of users’ mailbox in Outlook in EDB files.
Thus an administrator holds of all the data of a particular user connected with the Exchange. But it is to mentioned that with every effective application, there is always a chance of error, virus attack or corruption issues. These issues are common and can occur anytime while working or not. The corruption hampers database and makes all the data unavailable for the users. Let us see why these corruptions occur.
Reasons for Exchange Server 2016 crash
Exchange Server 2016, the latest version which can also get crashed because of the following reasons
- Physical corruption – Damage on the hard drive causes this corruption. An example is – Exchange database can get failed due to hardware problem with the base volume. This type of corruption is easily detected and not such common one.
- Logical corruption – In such type, main reasons are the data loss, incorrect programming, network failures, etc. Storage corruption and database engine failure are most common among them.
However, most of the experienced users of Microsoft Exchange take care of it and always have a backup with them. An intelligent user never let any stone not turned up. He tries all preventive measures to save Exchange Data from outside as well as inner corruptions. Here, we will discuss about the native method to repair crashed Exchange Server that is restoring Exchange Server 2016 using Windows Server Backup. Before going for the free utility, the user must take the following measures.
Before going for Windows Server Backup
Things the user should know before using Windows Server Backup utility are as under
- The user must have assigned permissions for the Exchange Server. These permissions are recipient permissions needed to manage recipients in Exchange Server 2016.
- The user should be well acquainted with the time required in the procedure.
- Windows Server backup feature must be installed on the system.
You can log on to Exchange Server and install Windows Server backup application directly. Once installed, the user is ready to execute the procedure.
Backing/Restoring Exchange Server 2016 using Windows Server Backup feature
To restore Exchange Server 2016 database, first you need to have a backup of its database. The steps to backup Exchange Server 2016 database are as follows
- Open Windows Server backup application. In the Action menu, from Local Backup, select Backup once.
- In Backup once wizard, from Backup Options, select Different Options and click Next
- In Select Backup Configuration option, select Custom radio button and click Next.
- You can have selective items by choosing Add items from Select items for Backup option.
- Here, specify the volumes to be backed up by clearing or selecting the checkboxes. After selection, click OK. The selected volumes will get added.
- Choose settings by clicking on Advanced Settings option. Click on the VSS Settings tab and select VSS Full Backup. Click OK and then Next.
- Now provide the storage location for backup in Specify Destination Type page. Choose Remote shared folder and click Next. Then specify the details like location path and click Next. Choose Access Control as Inherit. Click Next.
- Verify the backup settings on the Confirmation page and click Backup.
- The Backup process is started and can be viewed like this.
- Once the process is completed successfully, the detailed log for the backup is available for the user.
The backup is now created at the desired destination. Now half of the task is completed. The next half is for the restoring of the backup created earlier by the Windows Server Backup application. You can utilize this utility for restoring the database file as well. Just follow the simple steps in order to restore your Exchange database.
- Launch Windows Server Backup application. Click Local Backup option. In the Actions menu, click Recover to restore the backup.
- On the Getting Started page, select the first radio button, if your backup file is stored on a local server. But if the backup is on another system, you have to choose the second radio button and remote system connection details along with the path in order to proceed. Click Next in either case after the selection.
- Select the backup date and time available for your Exchange Server data. Click Next.
- From Select Recovery Type option, select Applications radio button and click Next.
- In Specify Recovery Options, provide the location where you want to save restored data. You can recover it to its original location or at some other location. Using the filters available, you can filter the data. Select your option and click Next.
- Finally, after selection, click Recover option to recover the data. The Recovery process is displayed like this.
- Click Close once the recovery progress is finished. You can access your recovered data from the specified location.
Hence, the manual solution for Exchange Server 2016 data recovery has been discussed and learnt. This is for the case when the user has with him a fresh or little time old backup. With the very old backups, users will not be able to retrieve the data processed after that backup. Also, many busy users are not aware of having a preventive measure like making Backups to protect their data in bad times. Some limitations definitely come with the discussed manual solution – Backup/Restore with Windows Server Backup application. These are as follows –
- Lengthy method.
- Complex method. A non-technical user will take much time to learn it.
- Not useful with very old backups as current data is not accessible
- Chances of data loss or corruption in data in between the process.
So, by analyzing these limitations, a user view is transferred to a better option for Exchange Server data recovery. Using a comprehensive, simple and efficient third-party tool would be an excellent choice. Exchange Server Recovery tool is a user-friendly, result-driven and powerful tool which can easily restores data from corrupt Exchange database files. It can restore the data within minutes using its highly interactive features. The user can experience its features with Trial version as well.