An EML file is an electronic mail extension that allows the attachment and the data to be shared with other users around the world.
It can be easily viewed and read by multiple applications such as Outlook Express or Microsoft Outlook. EML is basically MIME files that can be opened in Notepad to see all the related information. Although it is a Microsoft native file extension but other applications may also be used to open and view EML file. To view an EML file in Exchange’s Outlook web Access, there is a need to change the file extension from .eml to .mht. However, due to sharing and use of multiple applications and utilities to open the EML file, it can easily get corrupted or damaged.
Here are the locations to find EML file:
If you are using Windows mail- C:\Users\
If you are using Windows Live Mail Users- C:\Users\
Common errors occur in EML files
- EML not found, Cannot register EML, and EML access violation is a few of the most Windows Live Mail Error.
- Crashes, installation errors, and shutdown errors are other common errors.
Solutions to retrieve data from corrupt EML file
EML corruption is not a huge problem and can be solved easily by two methods mainly. One of them is the manual method and the other is the use of a third-party professional tool.
Solution 1: Manual method
- Start your computer system and log in using your administrator ID.
- Click on the Start button and navigate to Program and Accessories from the visible options.
- In the next step, click on System Tools and then on to System Restore.
- In the appeared window for restore, select the option Restore my computer for an earlier time and then click the Next button.
- In the restore point list, click on the Next button to retrievie data from corrupt EML file.
Solution 2: Manual method for EML files not opening in Outlook 2007
- To start off, close Outlook 2007 and then start Registry Editor on your system.
- To find the registry subkey- “HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Microsoft Internet Mail Message\shell\open\command”.
- Right-click and click on Modify button.
- Write the command- “%ProgramFiles%\Microsoft Office\Office12\OUTLOOK.EXE” /eml “%1” before clicking OK.
- You need to now exit the registry box by clicking on Exit.
Solution 3: Using a third-party tool
Manual methods are easy and free to use but in some cases, they don’t produce the results the user is looking for. Third-party tools on the other hand are generally multiple solutions-oriented and provide surety for solving the problem. Therefore, we encourage our users to go for third-party tools such as EML to PST for a convenient and better experience. One of the methods to view the EML files is to change the file extension for which you will need a third-party tool. These professional tools save time and eradicate any threat to the file.
Wrapping it up
EML file is the extension of email files that can be viewed on multiple applications. Though, it has a tendency of getting corrupted if in contact with harmful systems. To solve the problem and retrieve data from corrupt EML file there are two ways- manual and third-party tools as described above in the blog. User can also convert EML to PST file using free methods.
After crashing my system, I was unable to access my emails in Windows Live Mail account but known the location of .eml files where entire email data was stored. So I used the system restore facility to retrieve my emails by the above the given steps. Such a helpful content.
I used to see such situations before when I was using Windows Live mail client. Many times, I faced this issue of corruption and restore the system or check for backups to retrieve data from corrupt EML file. I used such third-party tools then to fix such issues, and later moved to Microsoft Outlook which keeps data safe.